Bread Machine Challah
6 1/2 cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup veg oil
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 Tbsp yeast
Braid challah. Add Wash and then cook on 350 Degrees
Pretzel Variation: Take a low, wide pot or skillet and fill it with water. Add about 1/8-1/4 cup of baking soda. Once it’s a low boil, put the challah in the water for 30 seconds. Bathe the Challah. Lift out carefully with two slotted spoons or spatulas and put on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with an everything bagel spice and bake at 350 for approx 27-30 minutes. Tent the challah for 10 minutes and then cook for another 18-20 minutes.
This is a recipe from our one of the administrators at our synagogue, it’s delicious and I make it on weeks that I am not making 5lbs.
5lb Egg Challah
4 tbsp yeast or 4 (1/2 oz) packages of active dry yeast.
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 cup warm water
5 lbs bread flour + extra flour depending on climate if it is too sticky
2 tbsp & 2 tsp salt (I definitely have used only 2 tsp)
2 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 cups oil
4 cups warm water
3 tbsp Vanilla (I don’t measure and just squeeze until it looks right)
Egg wash for challah: 1 – 2 eggs, vanilla (during RH, I add a squirt of Honey)
Proof the yeast:
I use a 4 cup measure cup and place 1/2 cup warm water, yeast, 1 tbsp sugar. I wisk everything together, which is a tip I learned just recently and the yeast proofs so much better.
- In a large mixing bowl, oil the sides of the bowl.
- Then add all of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Then add all the liquid ingredients.
- Knead until smooth ball. Put in very large bowl & let rise until it is double. Put it near a warm place
- Punch down.
- Take a small piece of dough the size of an egg & recite the blessing for challah. Wrap it in aluminum foil & burn in oven. It should not be in the oven at the same time as the rest of the challot you will eat. Keep it wrapped & discard when burned.
Let is rise a 2nd time.
Wash with egg wash
Bake at 350 F for about 45 minutes or until it sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom. Times vary depending on the size of your challot.
Heavenly Challah (Vegan/Water)
7 Cups flour
2 tbs dry yeast
5-8 Tbs sugar (depending on desired sweetness)
2 ½ cups warm water
½ cup oil
1 tbs salt
1 egg beaten (sub maple syrup if you want it vegan)
Sesame seeds or poppy seeds
- Place all ingredients except the salt in a large bowl. Begin kneading. When a ball of dough is formed, add the salt. Knead the dough for approximately 10 minutes, until the dough is smooth and soft, but not sticky
- Brush the dough and bowl with a bit of oil, cover the bowl with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel, and let the dough rise in a warm place for approximately 1 hour, until the dough doubles in volume.
- After the dough has risen, knead it for a few minutes. Roll pieces of dough into strands to be braided. To make more airy Challahs, roll out each strand into strips, approximately ¼ inch (about ½ centimeter) thick. Roll each strip Jellyroll fashion to form a tube and use these to braid the Challah.
- Place the Challah in a pan. Brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds if desired. Cover and let them rise again in a warm place for approximately 40 minutes. In the meantime preheat the over to 350 degrees.
- Bake for approximately 30 minutes, until the Challahs turn golden brown. Remove the Challah from the oven and from the pan and cool on a wire rack.
This recipe is from the kitchen of Alina Spaulding. I usually fill with chocolate chips and roll out long strip and flatten with a rolling pin and spread filling and the roll together before I braid.
Save 40% off of these Smart plugs
. Click on the link for the smart plugs to have the 40% applied or type 40JFKHXC
- Voice Control with Ease: Compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and IFTTT, allowing control outlet through the use of simple voice commands. NOT CURRENTLY SUPPORT SmartThings, Homekit
- Control from Anywhere: With the Aoycocr Smart app you can access and manage any small appliances from anywhere, creating a truly smart home experience all in one app – A secured 2.4GHz WiFi network is required
- Schedule & Timer: Customized schedule lights, fans, and any home electronics or appliances to turn on and off automatically, or control them remotely when you’re away. Get ready to smart your home stuff and automation
- Simple to set up: Plugin a wall outlet, easily follow instruction steps to connect your smart plug to your existing 2.4GHz Wi-Fi network. Then start using your smart app or voice to turn to control the power
- More Important & Guaranteed: Device sharing allows you to share with your family members. FCC/ROHS Approved and Overload protection provided complete security. No hub required. Offer backed with 90-day money back, 2-year warranty and lifetime support
We have automated a large portion of the house. We originally did it for Shabbat, but with the kids are using them during the week also. The lights go off at the intended bedtime all week long. When we were in school, we also set it up for the lights to go on at a specific time.
1) 18/10 stainless steel interior and exterior
- Secura stainless steel French Press coffee maker is made from top quality 18/10 stainless steel, both the interior and exterior, other French press may use 18/10 stainless steel on one side only. This Stainless Steel French Press is made to outlast other coffee makers.
2) Double-wall construction for superior thermal retention
- The interior and exterior 18/10 stainless steel form a Double-wall construction. It is more efficient to retain heat comparing to single wall construction. It is desirable to drink your coffee fresh, however, when needed, it can keep your coffee hot longer.
3) 3-layered Stainless steel filter construction, with bonus stainless steel filter
- 3-LAYERED STAINLESS STEEL FILTER STRUCTURE traps the smallest coffee grounds to produce an exceptional full-bodied flavor.
- BONUS Stainless Steel Screen included with this French coffee press. Filter screen is easy to disassemble and clean. Stack one or more screens together gives your espresso a more refined taste.
4) This Stainless steel French press maker comes with Cool touch handle and knob for comfortable and safe pouring.
5) 34 ounce/ 1000ml capacity. BONUS Stainless Steel Screen. Dishwasher safe.
- The capacity of Secura Stainless-steel French coffee press is 34 OUNCE/ 1000ML. All the parts of this French coffee maker are DISHWASHER SAFE.
6.8 Liter Stainless Steel Coffee Urn
The NESCO Coffee Urn is constructed of stainless steel and features double wall insulation, allowing it to retain heat longer than single wall models. Its hefty capacity can hold up to 30-5.7 oz cups. Approximate brewing time is one cup per minute. Green indicator light lets you know when coffee is ready to be served. With locking lid and stay-cool handles to help prevent mishaps, this urn is truly a crowd pleaser.
Features Twist-lock Lid and Removable Filter Basket
- 6.8 Liter Capacity (30-5.7oz. Cups or 14-12oz. Cups)
- Stainless Steel
- Double Wall, Insulated tank
- Enclosed Water gauge
- Cool Touch Handles
- Indicator Lights
- Locking Lid
- Easy Setup
Use it for:
Social gatherings, business meetings, home entertaining, club or group functions and waiting areas.
Twist-locking lid and stay-cool handles. Sturdy base, sits flat on counter instead of on legs.
Double Insulated Wall:
Keeps coffee hot longer without burning coffee. Coffee stays rich flavored for hours.
Brewing time approximately one cup per minute.
High quality stainless steel mesh.
Warm Light Signals When Ready
Serving handle can be pushed down all the way to fill carafes or pushed down a little to fill one cup at a time. Coffee flows without splashing.
How much coffee is used in a 30-cup coffee urn?
That depends on how strong you like your coffee.
Most coffee urns call for one tablespoon of coffee per cup. So the norm would be to use between 24-30 tablespoons of coffee or (about 1-1/2 Cup) then fill with water to the MAX fill line.
This is the one we use on Shabbat. I also set it on a wifi smart timer so that I can control when it’s on and off. I also think this will make it last longer because it is not continuously on and safer.
- FAMILY SIZE WARMING TRAY: The 21″ x 16″ surface hot plate can fit several dishes at once and looks great on any counter top, table, or buffet. The adjustable temperature control and size makes it suitable for family dinners, Sunday football gatherings, holiday meals, or other big parties and events.
- KEEPS FOOD WARM ALL DAY: The adjustable temperature settings make it easy to quickly heat up your food, while the fuse safety feature keeps the electric tray from overheating so you can keep your food warm throughout the whole day. You can keep the hot plate on low to keep food warm throughout the day, or adjust to high to heat your appetizers quickly. Should not be left on for longer than 72 hours. 400 Watts, compatible with 120 Volt outlets.
- HIGH QUALITY: Can be used with all heat safe cookware and bake-ware; aluminum or glass baking pans, casserole dishes, pots, pans & more! Cool touch aluminum handles for convenient transport and added safety.
- SLEEK GLASS TOP: Sleek space saving design with black tempered glass top and stainless steel accents looks great on any table or buffet. Revolutionary glass plate design makes cleaning a breeze.
- RESOURCES: cETL approved with advanced safety technology for long lasting durability, & 1-year assurance provided by Chefman, so you can purchase worry-fee – we’ve got your back! For information on how to use your product, scroll down for a PDF User Guide. 400 Watts/120 Volts.