Simcha Planning: Service Checklist
I have been fully absorbed in household stuff over the last couple months because we just celebrated our oldest daughter’s Bat Mitzvah on Purim. I figured I would share a couple posts with information that might be useful for anyone who is doing a simcha. This is more focused on if you are doing it yourself.
Kippot & Clips
Special Table Cloths
Microphone (if doing the setup yourself)
Ring Light (if doing the setup yourself)
Adapters like HDMI to USB-C (if doing the setup yourself)
Laptop (if doing the setup yourself)
Extra Laptop for Projector (if doing the setup yourself)
Projector (if doing the setup yourself)
Video Camera (if doing the setup yourself)
USB Cords (if doing the setup yourself)
Surge Protector (if doing the setup yourself)
Sheet of Page Numbers
I did a lot of research of different components that were needed for the service. Our synagogue doesn’t have any technology, so we set things up ourselves. Here are some ideas that I got from researching vendors and the virtual mitzvah planning group.
Microphone & Accessories
Here are a couple of the recommendations from there and from other professionals:
- Blue Yeti Nano Professional Condenser USB Microphone with Multiple Pickup Patterns & No-Latency Monitoring for Recording and Streaming on PC & Mac – Shadow Grey We used this one and it worked great.
- Blue Snowball iCE USB Mic for Recording and Streaming on PC and Mac, Cardioid Condenser Capsule, Adjustable Stand, Plug and Play – Black
- FIFINE Studio Condenser USB Microphone Computer PC Microphone Kit with Adjustable Scissor Arm Stand Shock Mount for Instruments Voice Overs Recording Podcasting YouTube Karaoke Gaming Streaming
- Blue Yeti USB Mic for Recording & Streaming on PC and Mac, 3 Condenser Capsules, 4 Pickup Patterns, Headphone Output and Volume Control, Mic Gain Control, Adjustable Stand, Plug & Play – Blackout
- Foam Microphone Windscreen- Aedor Quality Sponge Mic Cover as a pop filter for Blue Yeti, Yeti Pro Condenser Microphones(Black)
- Audio-Technica ATR2100x-USB Cardioid Dynamic Microphone (ATR Series)
- Dragonpad USA Microphone Pop Filter, for Blue Yeti, Blue Snowball – Flexible Gooseneck Microphone Mount and Double Layer Sound Shield Guard Windscreen
- USB Computer Microphone, Plug &Play Desktop Omnidirectional Condenser PC Laptop Mic, Mute Button with LED Indicator, Compatible with Windows/Mac, Ideal for YouTube, Skype, Recording, Games
We purchased a high definition webcam. Here are some of the suggested webcams.
- Razer Kiyo Streaming Webcam: 1080p 30 FPS / 720p 60 FPS – Ring Light w/ Adjustable Brightness – Built-in Microphone – Advanced Autofocus This is the one we used and the quality was good.
- Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920, Widescreen Video Calling and Recording, 1080p Camera, Desktop or Laptop Webcam
- Webcam 1080P Full HD PC Skype Camera, PAPALOOK PA452 Web Cam with Microphone, Video Calling and Recording for Computer Laptop Desktop, Plug and Play USB Camera for YouTube, Compatible with Windows
- Webcam with Microphone, 1080P HD Webcam Streaming Computer Web Camera with 95-Degree Wide View Angle, USB Plug and Play Webcam for PC Desktop or Laptop Video Calling Recording Conferencing
- NexiGo 1080P 60FPS Webcam with Microphone for Streaming, Advanced AutoFocus, w/Privacy Cover and Tripod, N680P Pro Computer Web Camera for Online Learning, Skype Zoom Teams, Mac PC Laptop Desktop
Our service was in the evening and in the sanctuary of our synagogue. We really didn’t need any extra lighting, but here are a few other options.
- UBeesize 10″ Selfie Ring Light with 50″ Extendable Tripod Stand & Flexible Phone Holder for Live Stream/Makeup/YouTube Video We have this one.
- Neewer 18-inch SMD LED Ring Light Dimmable Lighting Kit with 78.7-inch Light Stand, Filter and Hot Shoe Adapter for Photo Studio LED Lighting Portrait YouTube TikTok Video Shooting (No Carrying Bag)
- EICAUS 10” Ring Light with Stand and Phone Holder, Cell Phone Tripod with Ringlight and Phone Holder, Selfie Ring Light for Live Streaming/Makeup/Photography, Compatible with All Cell Phones
We ended up getting a group of girls together to create their own Yads through the Hiddur Mitzvah project. I am not sure how much longer they will be doing this program as Gary Rosenthal is retiring. But the end results were beautiful.
You could also make your own yad and decorate it with polymer clay or even hand pointers.
There are so many different styles of yads
- Yair Emanuel Anodized Aluminum Yad
- Yair Emanuel Wooden Painted Yad
- Zion Judaica Silver Plated Torah Pointer for Enamel
- Quest Collection Scripture Yad
- Quality Judaica Modern Jeweled Torah Pointer
- Sterling Silver Little Torah Pointer
- Long Torah Pointer with Hammered Nickel-Plated
This is such a personal choice. Sometimes there are beautiful tallitot that are shared from generation to generation. Sometimes they are made from pieces of family pieces and quilted together. Our daughter didn’t wear a Tallit, but we placed the Tallit that we were wrapped in at our wedding and that she was named in (along with the rest of our children) under the Megillah she read from.
- Mazel Tov Swag
- Gabrieli Tallit
- 100% Wool Tallit Prayer Shawl in White and White Stripes Size 24″ L X 72″ W
- Yair Emanuel Tallit Prayer Shawl Gadol + Bag + Kippah + Atara Set Embroidered RAW Silk Magen David Blue (Bundle)
- Youthful Easy Going Blue Tallit, Bar Mitzvah Tallit Set, Modern Tallit from Israel, 20 inches by 72 inches by Galilee Silks Israel
We made a bencher for our daughter. It included Maariv, Megillah Reading, and Shabbat Prayers. I have a design background and have designed B’kol Echad, Siddurim, logos for smachot. You can see some examples of what I have designed on this Instagram account. If you are in design services for your simcha, feel free to contact me.